Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Not a Mommy post but something I felt compelled to write

I was about 8 or 9 when I first saw Ghostbusters.  My parents had taped it probably not realizing it wasn't really a kid movie.  They knew Jennifer & I always watched the cartoon so I can only assume they thought it was really close to the movie.  What they didn't realize is that in doing so they created 2 major Ghostbusters fanatics.  We memorized every line (of the network tv airing..in which they say Wally Wick not Wally Dickless), and even had our own pretend adventures with Peter, Ray, Winston & Egon.   Somewhere around this house there still might be a recording of us reciting lines while the movie was playing.  It's a wonder the VHS hasn't worn out.  For Father's day 1989 we took Dad to see Ghostbusters 2.  We were obsessed!  So you can imagine my shock when I left work Monday to my sister's text that Egon was dead.

I walked around the mall in disbelief.   I checked eonline and found nothing.  Then I checked people.com and it was the leading story.  Harold Ramis was dead.  The only reaction I wasvhad was disbelief and heartbreak.  I had the biggest crush on him when I was a kid (which now I am questioning since he apparently was only 2 years older than my parents).  I wonder if this is how all the fanatics of other celebrities felt when their favorites passed on.

Today I watched Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 back to back (fyi if you want to watch them and don't have the DVD or bluray they are on the Esquire network tomorrow night and Friday afternoon).  I can still quote them both and they will always be my favorite.  So thankyou Harold Ramis for the great movies and for being such a huge part of my childhood.  RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment